A Brief History of our Parish

History of St. John's Parish

On the Feast of St. John the Apostle, December 27th, 1958, Bishop James Casey decreed the formation of St. John the Apostle Church in northeast Lincoln.

On Sunday, January 25th, 1959, the first pastor, Msgr. Maurice Helmann, celebrated St. John's inaugural Mass at Meadow Lane School Auditorium. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Christmas Eve of that year (1959). Bishop Casey formally dedicated the church on May 1, 1960.

The first Mass in the current church, whose construction was directed by the then pastor, the Rev. Joseph Mroczkowski, was celebrated on July 20th, 1980. Bishop Glennon Flavin formally dedicated the church on October 5th of that year. (1980)

St. John's has continued to grow with a school that serves some 280 students Kindergarten thru 8th grade. St. John's has 1150 families in it's congregation.